Battle of the Bulge

Being overweight has been a life long battle for me... I think I first joined Weight Watchers when I was 14!  I think I've tried every weight loss "method" known to man... grapefruit pills, Weight Watchers, cabbage soup, various prescribed meds, Atkins, slim fast, paleo, just to name a few... after years of yo-yo dieting I had finally figured out it's more about just eating healthy... but what's healthy?

Seriously!  What's healthy anymore?  Eggs are bad for you, then they're good, then only the whites are good... butter is bad, you should use margarine instead... oh wait, butter is actually better for you and that other stuff is about 2 molecules away from becoming plastic.  WHAT!?  Oh sure, we've gotten lazier over the years as those handy inventions have come along to make things easier but how are we supposed to know what's truly healthy when doctors keep changing their minds?  Just look at Dr. Oz... great guy right?  I'm sure he's a very nice man, and I used to love his show... but it seems like he's got half a dozen or more weight loss techniques each week for us to try or that we should be doing.  If these techniques really worked, shouldn't we all be at a "healthy" weight already?  Which brings me to a whole 'nother tirade.... I feel a scattered blog post about the happen... try to keep up with me. 

Healthy weight?  We all know there's that horrendous chart out there that tells us what we should weigh according to our height... which by the way has also changed over the years.  Once upon a time for my height & build I was expected to weigh 125-140 pounds.  Seriously!  The lowest I can remember ever being is 175 and I have a hard time believing that 125 would be a healthy weight for me.  Now the charts say my expected range is 143-163 - that's more reasonable, but still a long way off for this old girl.  I'd be happy at 200 again!

So here I am, like a yo-yo again... last year I had been doing fairly well in my food choices but with the stressors of life controlling me, or rather me allowing them to control me, it wasn't much help in losing weight.  Then in November I had emergency surgery which in part caused me to lose 15-20 pounds, I was ecstatic about that!!  Then I obviously started feeling better and the weight came back... boo!  Several years ago I had bought a pair of slacks that were on sale and in my size - bonus right!?  They were a little on the big side... so much so that I rarely wore them.  I'd pull them out for special occasions and they'd hang on my butt.  Sigh... yesterday I put them on and guess what... yeah, they were a tad on the tight side.  I was NOT happy... I was frustrated, disgusted and down right depressed about it.  Enough is enough.  I'd already been gearing up to get back to healthy eating but this pant issue is sending me over the edge!  Look out bikini season, I'm coming your way and I've got your name on my list!  ok ok, maybe a bikini is a bit much to expect this year but you can sure bet I'll be pumping it up and digging out those old hip hop abs dvd's!  Now if this darned snow and sub zero weather would go away so I can get outside and get back to walking too!

So what program will I be following this time?  Guess you'll just have to follow along and see...

Comments

  1. Scattered blog post, indeed. ;-)
    I think I consumed more calories in the first month and a half of 2015 than the entire year of 2014. Keep at it. Like the song says, just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You're doing what?

Cinnabon Delights...

Zoom Zoom Zumba!