Sinday Confession...

It’s time for Sinday Confessional… yes I realize it’s not Sunday but someone was being a computer hog yesterday and since they were also folding laundry at the same time, I thought it best not to disrupt him.  So here we are, now let’s get down to business!
One day while grocery shopping I saw that they had chicken in a can and thought ewww, then thought about salmon in a can, again ewww.  I was completely grossed out without even giving it a chance… just the thought of it gave me the heebie jeebies.  Wellll… this busy working mom of 2 was finding that trying to eat healthy, make actual meals for dinner etc. was just becoming a pain in the rear and an easier way had to be found… after thinking about it and how I eat tuna & spam and how they come from a can, why not give chicken a chance.  So here’s my Sinday Confession… I eat chicken from a can, and I like it!  I almost always use it where I can now in place of having to thaw and cook and actual chicken.  Of course you can’t grill canned chicken but it does have sooo many more uses!  Oh and for the record, I’m talking about canned chicken chunks and NOT a canned whole chicken – cause that would just be wrong!
With that said… Today’s “recipe” is a somewhat healthy take on a high calorie & high fat chicken burrito that I used to make.  When I told Roy what I was making for dinner he got excited because it’s one of his top 5 favorite dishes that I make… and then I told him I wasn’t going to be smothering it in salsa con queso this time.  The look on his face was priceless… almost like a child pouting up and asking why?  Well because we’re eating healthier now… he just stood there in shock and disbelief but his review was favorable, so now I'm sharing it with you...

Chicken Burritos

2 - 12.5oz cans of chunk chicken
Salsa
Low fat cheese (I use taco or fiesta blend)
Low sodium taco seasoning
Low carb tortilla's

Drain and rinse your chicken, then smash it up in a bowl so that it's shredded.  Mix in some salsa, I use fresh homemade salsa but you can use your favorite - just add it to your desired taste but not so much that it over powers the chicken.  You're just kinda adding it as a binding agent... chill for at least 30 minutes.  Mix in your taco seasoning, again to your desired taste - I'd start out with 2 teaspoons and go from there.  Scoop it out onto your tortilla, sprinkle with cheese(or add the cheese right to the mix), roll that bad boy up and place on baking dish or pan.  If you're feeling really "bubbly" you can even smear some refried beans on the tortilla prior to adding the chicken mix!  Bake at 350 for roughly 30 minutes... each oven is different, just start out at 20 minutes - you're just looking for it to be warmed thoroughly.  Add cheese to the top during the last 10 minutes to allow for it to melt without burning.


 The homemade salsa

Wrapping of the chicken mix - notice the minimal amount of cheese! (if you like my fine china, you can get your own at Wal*Mart - 100 piece serving for $3.97)

Ready for the oven...
(you can coat the tops with olive oil if desired, I sprayed mine with cooking spray)

Baked up and topped with cheese...
(it's not salsa con queso but it worked - edges got a little crispy)

Plated and ready to eat... nom nom nom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're doing what?

Cinnabon Delights...

Zoom Zoom Zumba!