Baked Chicken Eggrolls

Normally I make these things with a pound each of ground sausage and ground beef but since I've been trying to eat all healthy and what not I decided to change it up a bit.  Of course you know it's going to involve chicken, because apparently poultry is the almighty meat of healthy eats and you know what else that means... the queen of canned chicken has once again risen to the occasion.  MmmHmmm

Like always, there's no measuring involved... just dumping with love.  What you'll need is....

2 12.5oz cans of chicken drained, rinsed and shredded
1 can of bean sprouts
1 medium onion
1 pkg of tri-color coleslaw mix
some Chinese 5 spice
Teriyaki sauce/marinade

Chop up your onion fairly fine... saute in a LITTLE olive oil and or butter... actually you'll need to add quite a bit of one of those because you won't have the drippings/grease from the sausage/beef I normally use.  Anywho... saute that up, mix in the bean sprouts and chicken like this here...

Because I was using canned chicken I decided at this point to throw in some Teriyaki sauce/marinade to add a little taste to the meat.  Then we dump in a bag of coleslaw like this here...
Now I think the original recipe I came across a year or so ago that involves the sausage/beef version said to add a teaspoon of Chinese Five Spices... no seriously, just a teaspoon is all it said.  I know, I didn't follow that either when I first made these cause it just didn't seem to be enough and I'm glad I was a spice rebel!  So just add some to taste... although it is a little pungent at first and you'll question the spice and think WTF did I just do - trust me, it's all good!  I dump some in the palm of my hand and then into the mix, I'm guessing probably close to a tablespoon.
Let that cook up, stirring occasionally for about 20-ish minutes until the coleslaw is wilty... then the hard part... waiting for it to cool.  Yup... ya gotta let it cool or it will jack up your eggroll wrap.  Let it cool at least an hour, stirring off and on to release heat and steam.  Once you've got it fairly cool it's time to wrap things up...

I don't measure how much I put in each wrap but I'd say close to 1/4 cup for each one but to each is own... it's wrap time...
Once you have them all wrapped up, line them up on your cookie sheet and then spray the tops with your favorite non stick spray.  Normally I would roll them in olive oil and then put them on the baking sheet but we're trying to be more healthy now, so do it as you wish...
Now it's time to bake them up... I start out with 15 minutes at 350 degrees and then flip if they're looking golden.  Here's an example of what they'd look like before and after flip... if you don't flip half way through baking then one side will be not so crunchy.  Right side is flipped, left not.

And here we have the final product... I do like them better when rolled in the oil but when I do it this way I feel better about eating them - because they're so darn good I can literally sit down and eat the whole batch in a sitting!  Especially this chicken version cause can I just say... OMFG  HEAVEN!!!!!!!!  They were absolutely delicious, I don't know as if I'll ever go back to the pork & beef version after eating these!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're doing what?

Cinnabon Delights...

Zoom Zoom Zumba!